Skip to main content

Emergency!


I spoke a little about emergency funds in an earlier post.  What exactly is one and why do you need one?  In our family we have a lot of “emergencies” that arise. Just last month we had an unexpected bill and had to tap into our emergency fund. In my mind, an emergency is something you did not plan on in your budget, but needs to done. For example, an unexpected medical bill or unplanned repairs to your car.  My husband and I started using a budget with an emergency fund after we had a lot of debt from credit cards. If something unexpected happened, we would just use the credit card and we went further and further into debt. We knew something needed to change, and using a budget has greatly helped us stay out of debt. 

One emergency we've dealt with happened when we lived in Portland. We had a snow storm close to Christmas.  There was over two feet of snow with drifts over four feet tall in places. In our front yard it almost came to the top of our front porch. We could literally walk right off the porch and land gently in the snow.  This made me a little nervous because we planned on visiting my parents house for Christmas, and we were not sure if we could make it there safely. Since my husband was a pastor of a church, we were not planning on leaving until Christmas Eve, but because of all the snow the church decided to cancel the Christmas Eve service, so we were able to leave earlier than planned. We loaded up the car and off we went with our chains on ready to venture out on the snowy roads. Once we made it to the freeway, the chains needed to come off because the roads were bare enough. As we went on the freeway, we could see other cars' chains littering the road.  Unfortunately our car hit one and a flat tire ensued.  This was not how I imagined our trip: on the side of the road trying to put on spare tire in the cold. Fortunately, a stranger saw us struggling to put on the spare and stopped to help. My family and I finally made it to the tire store with our poor car. The tire store was able to replace the tire and off we went only an hour or two behind schedule.  Luckily we had some money in our emergency fund to cover this unexpected cost.

You might be thinking, that sounds great, but how do you start? You set aside a certain amount of money each month. You can keep it in your checking account or savings account. I recommend putting it in a savings account that you don't touch until you need it. You can also keep track in a budget app. Every Dollar is an app I recommend.  Some months we set money aside, others we aren't able to. If we get extra money from taxes or selling things in our house, we will occasionally put that in our emergency fund.This is different than saving for a big item, like the sofa we saved up for. This is for things you weren't expecting to happen right away.

When an emergency happens, we just transfer what we need to our checking account.  After we use the money, we try to build it back up again. Ideally, saving up 3-6 months worth of expenses is a good goal to aim towards to have in your emergency fund, but an initial goal of $1000 is a great starting point. 

Having an emergency fund gives me peace of mind that we have some reserves saved up in case we have a rainy (or snowy) day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling good in my own skin

This topic is not so easy for me to talk about, but it is something I want to share. For many years I have dealt with problems with my complexion. When the teen years arrived, skin issues arrived along with it. I had major problems with acne, which caused me to have low self-esteem because I was embarrassed by it. Sometimes I didn't even want to go to school.  I eventually went on some harsh medication to combat the pimples, but along with that came a whole new set of things to deal with. The medicine caused my face to get red and peel. I looked forward to getting older, because I mistakenly believed that my face would improve.  It did somewhat, but I had a weird combination of breakouts and dry flaky patches, which continued into my forties. To top it all off, I was diagnosed with rosacea in my late thirties. I never thought my skin looked nice. I would wish that I could have smooth, clear skin, but I didn’t think that would ever happen. Then I learned about essential oils, an

The Mouse and the Couch

Budgets!   That is a bad word to some people, but it doesn't have to be.  I am not perfect at keeping within our budget at times and this is an area I am trying to work on.   I know I am not alone. What are some tips to help with your budget? One tip I want to share is saving up for bigger items and paying for it all at once. We needed a new couch because our old one was wearing out.  So we decided to save up for a new one.  In the meantime, I tried to cover the stains and holes in our old one with blankets. While we were saving up the money, I did research so I knew what I wanted to buy beforehand and about how much money we would need to save.  We set money aside each month in our budget when we could. The day we went to purchase our new couch I had a good idea of what I wanted.  I was excited as I found what I was looking for.  My husband and I bought the couch in full-which felt great and then we went home and waited a couple weeks for it to arrive.  The day we were expecting t

The Lettuce Crisper Incident

When Dan and I got married, as we put away gifts that we received from our wedding, we would go through items that he already had. I love to organize things and purge my house of stuff I do not use to simplify life, so when I came across a lettuce crisper I thought, I have never used one before, why do I need one of these? I may or may not have tossed it. Years later we were putting away groceries, including iceberg lettuce, and Dan wondered where the lettuce crisper was, and I was like-yes that would be nice to put our lettuce in. We could not find it anywhere. Then I remembered seeing it when we first were married and told him that I might have donated it. I honestly was not sure what had happened to it. My husband did not understand why I would want to get rid of a lettuce crisper. We then ended up buying another one-which we do not use very much I might add, but I have not donated this one....yet. I have tried to donate items in my kitchen that I don't use oft