Skip to main content

S'mores and more...


I started writing a post about enjoying s'mores in the summer and then it turned into so much more!

When the weather starts to warm up, my family and I like to cook s'mores using our fire pit in the backyard.  One thing I have learned is the marshmallows roast the best if you wait for the flames to go down and you are left with hot coals-unless you like to catch them on fire! My goal is to have them turn a nice brown color.  If you do not have a fire pit, another method would be to use your BBQ to roast them. I had never tried this before, so I had my son roast a marshmallow over the grill. The marshmallow melted, but it did not turn brown.

We sometimes get a craving in the winter for a s'more, and the oven works in a pinch:
  • Put a marshmallow and piece of chocolate between two graham crackers.  
  • Wrap in a piece of foil (engrave your initials in the foil if you don't want anyone stealing your creation). 
  • Place in a 300 degree oven for 5-10 minutes. Be careful when you unwrap them; they will be hot and gooey. 
One of my pet peeves about s'mores made outdoors is my chocolate does not always melt and is hard when you bite into it. Since I like my chocolate warm and beginning to melt, I decided to run some experiments. In the past, I tried to put chocolate on top of one graham cracker and cook it in the microwave. But I usually end up cooking the chocolate for too long and I end up with a mess. For my first experiment, I put some chocolate on a graham cracker and put it on a piece of foil and laid it on the BBQ grill.  This didn't work too bad, but a word of caution, don't leave it there too long or you will burn your graham cracker and your chocolate with completely melt! For my second experiment, I placed some chocolate on half a graham cracker and put my treat on a stainless steel turner.  I was excited as I balanced it carefully and placed it near the coals.  Everything would have been fine, but my husband accidentally bumped the turner and my creation fell in the fire pit!! By that time I just gave up and my family asked me why I don't just put my hot marshmallow immediately on my piece of chocolate. That's great if you can get in on quick and don't get distracted!

The messy result of using the BBQ to cook my s'more


All this experimenting got me thinking. Sometimes I like to create and enjoy being adventuresome when it comes to cooking.  I also am trying to eat better, so this led me down the path of finding a recipe for homemade graham crackers and marshmallows. Therefore, I began another experiment making s'mores with homemade graham crackers and marshmallows.  The results were mixed. I had some frustration with the marshmallows, and figuring out the best way to put it in the pan to set up. I realized too late how quickly the marshmallows set up. I ended up with a sticky blob, but the taste was better than they looked. At this point I wondered what I got myself into, but I am stubborn and wanted to see the thing through. I then moved on to the graham crackers. Although making them was easy, the process of rolling them out proved more difficult. The dough was on the dry side and I was not able to roll it out as thin as I'd like. On the plus side, my family and I thought they tasted great, but they seemed more like a cookie than a cracker.  I am aware that the issues I had were most likely operator error and if I try them again, I will make some adjustments. For the finale, I made a s'more (in the oven) with my homemade creation and the result was very tasty. My curiosity resulted in a lot of work for me, but in the end I learned some new ways of doing a job and I realized it didn't have to be perfect.


Lately I have been using dark chocolate, as I prefer that to milk chocolate. I heard about using other candy in place of regular chocolate. Share any variations you enjoy in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling good in my own skin

This topic is not so easy for me to talk about, but it is something I want to share. For many years I have dealt with problems with my complexion. When the teen years arrived, skin issues arrived along with it. I had major problems with acne, which caused me to have low self-esteem because I was embarrassed by it. Sometimes I didn't even want to go to school.  I eventually went on some harsh medication to combat the pimples, but along with that came a whole new set of things to deal with. The medicine caused my face to get red and peel. I looked forward to getting older, because I mistakenly believed that my face would improve.  It did somewhat, but I had a weird combination of breakouts and dry flaky patches, which continued into my forties. To top it all off, I was diagnosed with rosacea in my late thirties. I never thought my skin looked nice. I would wish that I could have smooth, clear skin, but I didn’t think that would ever happen. Then I learned about essential oils, an

The Mouse and the Couch

Budgets!   That is a bad word to some people, but it doesn't have to be.  I am not perfect at keeping within our budget at times and this is an area I am trying to work on.   I know I am not alone. What are some tips to help with your budget? One tip I want to share is saving up for bigger items and paying for it all at once. We needed a new couch because our old one was wearing out.  So we decided to save up for a new one.  In the meantime, I tried to cover the stains and holes in our old one with blankets. While we were saving up the money, I did research so I knew what I wanted to buy beforehand and about how much money we would need to save.  We set money aside each month in our budget when we could. The day we went to purchase our new couch I had a good idea of what I wanted.  I was excited as I found what I was looking for.  My husband and I bought the couch in full-which felt great and then we went home and waited a couple weeks for it to arrive.  The day we were expecting t

When your kids get older

I had a blog called Fun Family Nights that I started a few years ago. I wrote about the family nights that we would have every week depending on our schedules.  Since then my kids have grown: my two sons have graduated from high school and my daughter is a junior in high school.  How do you transition from spending time with them when they are younger to when they are teens and college age? I believe it is important to find things that you have in common or enjoy doing together.  For us, we all like to go to concerts.  Our family has made great memories over the past couple years.  The most recent was seeing the band, Switchfoot in Seattle on their Native Tongue tour.  We saved up and part of our Christmas present to each other was buying VIP tickets.  They were worth every penny!  The five of us were able to meet the band and have our pictures taken with them, as well as getting to hear them play two extra songs for their sound check.  We also got in early and snagged spots in