Skip to main content

Simply relax!


I have a sign in my house that says "Relax". It is a reminder for me to take a deep breath and enjoy life. I have been on a journey to simplify different areas of my life, because removing distractions helps me to relax. You would think simplifying your life would be easy, but it can take time and you have to be intentional about it, but the outcome is worth it.

One area that I have worked hard to simplify is in the home. Organizing is part of that process and de-cluttering is the first step. Clutter can be a joy sucker. I think better and relax in an uncluttered environment, with a bonus of having an easier time keeping my home clean! Taking baby steps helps me tackle different jobs I need to do. Focus on one area of your home at a time and make small goals that you would like to accomplish. I have used all sorts of tools to help me stay focused. Books and blogs have helped me, but I pick and choose what works best and adapt it to my needs, because everyone is different and ideas that are effective for me may not be for you.

The following is a list of ideas to help you get started:
  1. Begin with one room in your house (for me it is the kitchen, which is the hub of the home).
  2. Write down goals that you have for each room. For example, maybe you want to buy new containers to hold non perishables. You may have grand plans to paint the walls or get new flooring or appliances.
  3. Use a box for giveaways. Put items in here that you don't use and would like to donate to a local nonprofit, like Love INC (where my husband works).
  4. Use a garbage sack for throwaways.  Items go in the garbage that are broken or not worth giving away.
  5. Optional: you could have another box of items that you want to sell for earning money to go towards your emergency fund or an item you are saving up to buy.
  6. Don't try and accomplish your task all in one day. If you are like me, set aside a certain amount of time (30 minutes or 1 hour, etc...) each day is helpful.
It doesn’t have to look perfect, it just has to work for you!  The editors from those magazines aren’t going to come critique your house.

Keeping it real-my coffee table tends to look like this at the end of a day, but that's alright! I am not saying your house has to be completely clean all the time, but it usually just takes me a few minutes to straighten up because I have kept things simple.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling good in my own skin

This topic is not so easy for me to talk about, but it is something I want to share. For many years I have dealt with problems with my complexion. When the teen years arrived, skin issues arrived along with it. I had major problems with acne, which caused me to have low self-esteem because I was embarrassed by it. Sometimes I didn't even want to go to school.  I eventually went on some harsh medication to combat the pimples, but along with that came a whole new set of things to deal with. The medicine caused my face to get red and peel. I looked forward to getting older, because I mistakenly believed that my face would improve.  It did somewhat, but I had a weird combination of breakouts and dry flaky patches, which continued into my forties. To top it all off, I was diagnosed with rosacea in my late thirties. I never thought my skin looked nice. I would wish that I could have smooth, clear skin, but I didn’t think that would ever happen. Then I learned about essential oils, an

The Mouse and the Couch

Budgets!   That is a bad word to some people, but it doesn't have to be.  I am not perfect at keeping within our budget at times and this is an area I am trying to work on.   I know I am not alone. What are some tips to help with your budget? One tip I want to share is saving up for bigger items and paying for it all at once. We needed a new couch because our old one was wearing out.  So we decided to save up for a new one.  In the meantime, I tried to cover the stains and holes in our old one with blankets. While we were saving up the money, I did research so I knew what I wanted to buy beforehand and about how much money we would need to save.  We set money aside each month in our budget when we could. The day we went to purchase our new couch I had a good idea of what I wanted.  I was excited as I found what I was looking for.  My husband and I bought the couch in full-which felt great and then we went home and waited a couple weeks for it to arrive.  The day we were expecting t

When your kids get older

I had a blog called Fun Family Nights that I started a few years ago. I wrote about the family nights that we would have every week depending on our schedules.  Since then my kids have grown: my two sons have graduated from high school and my daughter is a junior in high school.  How do you transition from spending time with them when they are younger to when they are teens and college age? I believe it is important to find things that you have in common or enjoy doing together.  For us, we all like to go to concerts.  Our family has made great memories over the past couple years.  The most recent was seeing the band, Switchfoot in Seattle on their Native Tongue tour.  We saved up and part of our Christmas present to each other was buying VIP tickets.  They were worth every penny!  The five of us were able to meet the band and have our pictures taken with them, as well as getting to hear them play two extra songs for their sound check.  We also got in early and snagged spots in